Economy Adds 195,000 Jobs in June
The employment situation looks slightly improved with the June 2013 number. The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics reports that 195,000 jobs were added in June. The biggest job increases were in leisure and hospitality. The unemployment rate was unchanged at 7.6 percent. The number of long-term unemployed (jobless for 27 weeks or more) was essentially unchanged at 4.3 million.Here are some highlights from the report:
- Leisure and hospitality added 75,000 jobs in June
- Employment in professional and business services rose by 53,000.
- Retail trade employment increased by 37,000.
- Health care continued to add jobs in June, with a gain of 20,000.
- Employment in financial activities rose by 17,000.
- Federal government employment fell by 5,000. It is down 65,000 over the past 12 months.
Posted on July 5, 2013